Hipz! = Hazriq Idrus Productionz

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Debate and Theatre: Any Link ? - Part 1

Debate on Friday?? That was my reaction when my lecturer, Rob MacPherson, mentioned it during the 1st day of our Communication and the Media class on Tuesday.

And..oh, by the way, yes, Ive finally started my school term - a part-time studies for the Bachelor of Arts (Communications and Media Management) under the University of South Australia through Asia Pacific Management Institute at the International Plaza. Depending on the schedules, the university lecturers will fly down from Adelaide to conduct the classes each time. Oh, man, I am a student again!!

Anyway, back to the debate thingy, it constitutes about 15% of the overall grades for this module. And to think that I am not really a debate person, it scares me! True, I am a theatre person, having involved in various productions and hosted in several events and functions, but debate is so much different! It involves thinking on your feet – not just that but to think of points to rebut the opposition instantly, well, almost.

Since Tuesday, I had some sleepless nights...thinking too much about the debate.
The motion: Global media flows erode the local cultural identity.
And I would be, the second speaker of the opposition side.

Nevertheless, I had helpful and knowledgeable team members in the likes of Annie, Jing Jing (1st speaker), Jeremy (3rd speaker) and Eunice. Each of us contributed ideas and we shared those points as we embarked on the debate preparation journey.

And on the way home on Thursday nite, Jeremy asked whether we should be wearing anything formal. I said maybe not and was suggesting to wear something arty farty...and when suddenly, an idea came! “Let’s wear traditional outfit! Something cultural. Moreover, it suits the motion.” And if you had guessed correctly, I wore a baju kurung with the songkok! Haha!

I know I was not a debate-type of person. I mean, as a person, I dont usually like to argue with people when I am putting my points across.

So, for this particular class activity, I really had to draw my theatre experiences (in terms of skills and the elements) that I have acquired - presence, posture, poise, confidence! - and put them into use.

So, when it was my turn to speak, I stood up from my chair, moved towards the rostrum which was situated in between the two groups, looked at my opponents in their eyes, smiled, and then looked at the audience. I breathed in, adjusted the mic and started to say my piece.

To be continued...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home